A PROJECT OF BERKS COUNTY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION

HOLY SPIRIT LUTHERAN CHURCH
4th & Windsor Streets
Reading, PA
610.376.0825
History:
​
The Church of the Holy Spirit began as a Sunday School by its mother church, Trinity Lutheran. Trinity acquired a plot of land in 1904 at the corner of Fourth and Windsor streets in order to build a chapel. In the spring of 1909, the Muhlenberg brothers were hired to design the new brick chapel. In March of 1910, the Italian Renaissance chapel was completed. Holy Spirit Sunday School opened in May of that same year with about 100 members. With attendance rising quickly, the Sunday School became Holy Spirit Lutheran Church in September 1911.
In 1912, the newly formed congregation purchased land adjoining the northern section of the property where they built a two-story annex to the chapel.
After WWI, the congregation grew, and the church council began to make plans for a new church space that connected to the original chapel. Howard Eiler was hired as the architect for this addition. Construction for the new space started in May 1922 and finished in May of the next year. It was fitted with 44 stained glass windows to showcase the knowledge of the Holy Spirit. These windows were designed by Leonid Litauts, who selected glass from Belgium, England, France, Germany, Italy and the U.S.
Congregation/Space:
​
Currently, Holy Spirit has 35 attending members for Sunday service. During the course of a week, around 140 people come use the building for various reasons. In addition, the church hosts another congregation named El Tiempo con Jesus. This congregation holds service on the first floor in the space of the original chapel. Due to their smaller congregation, the church has a few spaces that are rarely used.
​
Programs:
​
The church hosts the Olivet Boys and Girls Club during the summer in the basement. The church also offers Adult Bible Study as well as space for Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous recovery organizations.
HOLY SPIRIT LUTHERAN CHURCH GALLERY

Part of the church's facade facing Windsor Street showing the original chapel (1909) and the added tower (1922)

Facade of the chapel

South side view of the 1922 addition of Holy Spirit Lutheran

West side entrance opening into the narthex of the church

South entrance of Holy Spirit Lutheran completed during the 1922 addition, facing Windsor Street

This building host the church's offices and sits next to the main church, separated by an alley


The open space on the first floor of the chapel is now used by another congregation

Space in the first floor of the chapel

The beamed ceiling of the chapel on the second floor

The large rose window on the south side of the chapel

A view of Holy Spirit Lutheran's sanctuary


The church's altar and chancel

Five of Holy Spirit Lutheran's stained glass windows illuminate the sanctuary from south side

One of the stained glass windows on the south wall of the sanctuary provides an interpretation of Adam and Eve

Another window on the south wall of the santuary depicting biblical figure King David