top of page
Christmas Lights on Trees

ST. ANDREW'S UCC

1320 Spruce Street
Reading, PA 19602
610.374.9252

History:


St. Andrew’s UCC began as a Sunday School in 1885 started by Dr. Bausman and other church members. The group utilized St. Paul’s school house located at Thirteenth and Cotton streets during this time. In 1889, the congregation purchased the lot at the intersection of Spruce and Miller streets where they erected their church. The church was a one story building made of mountain stone consisting of a large basement, three gables, a corner tower and ten memorial windows. The primary floor of the building consisted of a sanctuary, small chapel, and an office near the front. In the basement there are multiple rooms including a large assembly room that can seat 700. There is also a kitchen and eating space within the basement.

​

Following the construction of the church, St. Andrews Reformed was officially organized as a congregation by Reverend S.L. Krebs on March 19, 1891. Since this time, the church has undergone a couple of renovations. In June of 1898, the church purchased a plot of land at the rear of the church. Within three years of the purchase of this additional land, the building underwent renovation enlarging the rear of the building. In 1903, the addition was completed providing the church with a rear library (with balcony), and additional offices. Later smaller renovations included the removal of the sanctuary’s balcony and the addition of a ceiling in the stairway leading to the tower.



Congregation/Space:

​

Today, St. Andrews remains active with 10 attending members led by Pastor Michael Baal. They share their space with one Spanish congregation who utilizes their basement.


​

Programs:

​

- Narcotic Anonymous

- Musical Recitals and activities

- Support for St. Paul’s Food Pantry

- Bible Study

ST. ANDREW'S UCC GALLERY

No photos currently available

A project of Berks County Community Foundation

610-685-2223

237 Court St.

Reading, PA 19601

​

​


©2019 Berks County Community Foundation

bottom of page